Saturday, February 7, 2009

Launch & Author's Foreword

Verdantic, it is. Believe it or not, it took me hours of inner deliberation and brainstorming to come up with this name. I actually wouldn't be too surprised if it changes again. To capture the concept of the blog, the name had to include something about being green. And since I work in a PR agency, I am irrevocably predisposed to puns and wordplays. Honorable mentions include Ecosexual, Verdancity (veracity of verdancy), Id and the Super Eco, Rosco Eco Train, Chagreen, El Greengo and The Socio-Ecopath.
To set the premise of this blog, I hope to share my observations and insight on issues regarding the green economy, sustainability and the environment when it comes to corporate communications and product innovations. Whether we heeded Al Gore's prophecy or began buying organic produce, green marketing has changed consumption habits by reaching nearly every industry and consumer good imaginable. Green marketing has given businesses an edge in revenue and corporate image; however, it is ugly when it is abused. To me frankly, it is simply unforgiveable--or until they redeem themselves somehow or until it is no longer convenient for me to hold this grudge.
As our attention shifts towards the recession, unwittingly we are greener by consuming less. On the other hand, business strategies can not rely on green marketing to woo consumers. The topic has plenty of fodder for banter. As a native San Franciscan, I feel that it is part of my culture and heritage to care. I am hopeful that Verdantic will help me and others shape our beliefs, attitudes and behavior to improve the way we live on our planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment